In honor of National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day,
Co-foundresses Ashley & Christy couldn't help but share their love for decadent sweetness.
In true partnership style, here's a recipe from the ladies at Studio DIY for chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches!!
PREP TIME: 30 MINS
COOK TIME: 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 40 MINS
YIELD: 20-25 SANDWICHES
- For the cookies:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles (divided)
- 2½ cups mini chocolate chips (divided)
- For the cake batter ice cream:
- 1½ cups milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1½ cups white or yellow boxed cake mix
- For the Cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter and sugars.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time. Add in vanilla. Mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter, and mix just till combined.
- Fold in ½ cup of sprinkles and 1½ cups mini chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls. Place 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes till lightly browned.
- Cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- For the Ice Cream: Whisk together all ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat till mixture reaches 160 degrees F, whisking constantly. Let cool and chill in the freezer till very cold.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with plastic wrap or waxed paper. Pour ice cream mixture into the dish and spread out evenly using a spatula. Freeze until hardened (at least 4 hours, preferably overnight).
- In a small shallow dish, combine 1 cup of mini chocolate chips with ½ cup rainbow sprinkles.
- Using a round cookie cutter about the same size as your cookies, cut out circles of ice cream and sandwich them between 2 cookies. Roll the outside edge of each ice cream sandwich in the sprinkles and mini chocolate chips. Wrap in wax paper and freeze.